|Program Title||Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences in Health Information Management|
|Total Credit Hours needed for completion of the program|
|Award (S) Granted On Completion Of The Program||Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences in Health Information Management|
In Support of the country’s vision For developing the medical sector, ECT is offering Applied Health Sciences Bachelor’s Degree program.
The mission of the Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences is to provide students with a range of knowledge, skills, and competencies that will prepare them to meet the requirements of the health care sector.
- Identify the core concepts in health environment & society.
- Acquire the knowledge & skills to make ethical decisions based on an understanding of societal values.
- Demonstrate the knowledge in the biomedical sciences required to manage healthcare sector.
- Apply general principles of Management & Economics in the administration of healthcare services.
- Employ IT skills and tools to effectively manage healthcare operations.
- Implement and manage applications and processes for clinical classification and coding.
- Effectively manage the health data and documentation in line with quality management principles.
- Manage healthcare processes in accordance with the UAE’s healthcare delivery systems.
- Develop, evaluate and select applications and processes of reimbursement systems in healthcare delivery.
Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences – Major in Health Information Management (HIM)
|Semester I||Cr/H||Pre-Requisite||Semester II||Cr/H||Pre-Requisite|
|ENG 100||English I||3||–||BUS 100||Introduction to Management||3||–|
|MTH100||College Mathematics||3||–||ENG 104||English II||3||ENG 100|
|BMD 200||Medical Terminology||3||–||GEN 201||General Psychology||3||ENG 100|
|BIT 100||Introduction to Information Technology Skills||3||–||BMD 201||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||3||GEN 306|
|GEN 102||Islamic Culture||3||–||MTH 103||Business Calculus||3||MTH 100|
|GEN 306||Human Biology||3||–||ACC 106||Accounting||3||MTH 100|
|HRM 201||Introduction to Human Resource Management||3||BUS 100||BMD 205||Pathophysiology||3||BMD 202|
|ENG 205||Health Communication Skills||3||ENG 104||BMD 203||Biostatistics for Health Sciences||3||MTH 100|
|HSC 201||Introduction to Health Information Management||3||BIT 100|
|BIT 413||Data Communication and Networking||3||BIT 100|
|GEN 302||Fundamental of Innovation||3||–||BAF 301||Introduction to Financial Management||3||ACC106|
|BMD 202||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||3||BMD 201||BIT 305||Database Management System||3||BIT 100|
|ECO 203||Introduction to Economy||3||–||HSC 202||Healthcare Institutions Management||3||BUS 100|
|HIM 305||Management of Health Information Systems||3||HSC 201||HIM 302||Medical Coding I||3||BMD 205|
|BMD 207||Pharmacology||3||BMD 205||HSC 203||Healthcare Economics||3||ECO 203|
|BUS 309||Operations Management||3||BMD203/BUS100/HSC 201||HIM 407||Health Promotion and Prevention||3||HIM 206|
|HIM 206||Human Health and Disease||3||BMD 205||HIM 306||Health Data Concepts||3||HSC 201|
|GEN 303||Sociology||3||ENG 100||BIT 430||Information Security||3||BIT305/BIT 413/|
|GEN 308||Legal and Ethical Aspects in Health Sciences||3||ENG 205|
|HIM 415||Graduation Project in HIM||3||–||HIM 415||Graduation Project in HIM||3||Complete 99 Cr/H|
|HIM 303||Medical Coding II||3||HIM 302||HIM 401||Reimbursement and Revenue Cycle Management||3||HIM 303/ECO 203/BAF 301|
|BUS 413||Leadership||3||BUS 100|
|HIM 419||Internship in Healthcare Establishment||3||Complete 99 Cr/H|
|HIM 404||Health Care Delivery Systems||3||HSC 202|
|HIM 403||Quality Management in Healthcare||3||HIM 306/BMD 203/BUS 309|
|BMD 307||Epidemiology||3||BMD 203|
|Total Credit Hours = 132|
General Requirements (33)
|1||English I||ENG 100||None|
|2||English II||ENG 104||ENG 100|
|3||Islamic Culture||GEN 102||None|
|4||College Mathematics||MTH 100||None|
|5||Health Communication Skills||ENG 202||ENG 104|
|6||Human Biology||GEN 306||None|
|7||General Psychology||GEN 201||ENG 104|
|8||Sociology||GEN 303||ENG 104|
|9||Communication Skills in Arabic||GEN 100||None|
|10||Introduction to Information Technology Skills||BIT 100||None|
|11||Legal and Ethical Aspects in Health Sciences||GEN 308||ENG 202|
Core Requirements (42)
|1||Introduction to Management||BUS 100||None|
|2||Introduction to Human Resource Management||HRM 201||BUS 100|
|3||Introduction to Financial Management||BAF 301||ACC 106|
|4||Introduction to Health Information Management||HSC 201||BIT 100, BUS 100, MTH 103|
|5||Database Management System||BIT 305||BIT 100, HSC 201|
|6||Healthcare Institutions Management||HSC 202||BUS 100, HSC 201|
|7||Data Communication and Networking||BIT 413||BIT 100, HSC 201|
|8||Introduction to Economics||ECO 203||None|
|9||Information Security||BIT 430||BIT 305, BIT 413|
|10||Healthcare Economics||HSC 203||ECO 203|
|11||Leadership||BUS 413||BUS 100|
|12||Operations Management||BUS 309||BUS 100, BMD 203, HSC 201|
|13||Accounting Principles I||ACC 106||MTH 100|
|14||Business calculus||MTH 103||MTH 100|
Biomedical Courses Requirements (21)
|1||Human Anatomy and physiology I||BMD 201||GEN 306|
|2||Human Anatomy and physiology II||BMD 202||BMD 201|
|3||Pharmacology||BMD 207||BMD 205|
|4||Pathophysiology||BMD 205||BMD 202|
|5||Biostatistics for Health Sciences||BMD 203||MTH 100|
|6||Epidemiology||BMD 307||BMD 203|
|7||Medical Terminology||BMD 200||None|
Major HIM Requirements (36)
|1||Medical Coding I||HIM 302||BMD 200|
|2||Medical Coding II||HIM 303||HIM 302|
|3||Management of Health Information Systems||HIM 305||HSC 201|
|4||Reimbursement and Revenue Cycle Management||HIM 401||HIM 303, ECO 203, BAF 301|
|5||Quality Management in Health Care||HIM 403||HIM 306, BMD 203|
|6||Health Data Concepts||HIM 306||HSC 201|
|7||Healthcare Delivery Systems||HIM 404||HIM 305|
|8||Internship in Healthcare Establishment||HIM 419||Completing 99 CH|
|9||Graduation Project in HIM (6 credit hours)||HIM 415||Completing 99 CH|
|10||Health Promotion and Disease Prevention||HIM 407||HIM 206|
|11||Human Health and Disease||HIM 206||BMD 205|
Throughout your Bachelor Degree Programs, you will receive career guidance from our expert staff and Students Affairs Dept. You will gain valuable new skills which prepare you for work, graduate entry into management training programmes, or further study.
Professional occupations for which graduates are prepared in the program:
- Health Information Manager
- HIM Supervisor
- Registered Health Information Administrator
- Health Insurance Manager
- Coding Specialist
- Medical Coder
Bachelor Degree in General Requirements
Students applying for admission to all ECT academic programs must be graduates with a UAE Secondary School Certificate, or it’s equivalent, as stated in the admission requirements set in the Ministerial Decrees No. 200/year 2004 and No 133/year 2005.
A) Secondary School Certificate: A certified UAE general secondary school certificate, with a minimum score of 60% or its equivalent is required for admission, according to the regulations of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. However, students with scores of less than 60% can study in the Foundation program and should pass 5 courses namely, Arabic Language, IT, Mathematics, Study Skills, and English Communication, along with a TOEFL score of 500 or equivalent before they study academic courses. Students with Industrial, Applied Technology, Commercial, and Agricultural Secondary School Certificates and with a minimum score of 65% can be admitted to ECT programs that are closely related to their fields of study and have to fulfill all other admission requirements. However, students with these certificates and with scores less than 65% can be admitted in the Foundation Program.
B) Proficiency in English: An adequate level of English language proficiency is required for admission. Applicants are required to present one of the following certificates of proficiency:
- For English programs: (Diploma & Bachelor)
- Valid certified TOEFL results equivalent to 500 (173CBT, a 61 iBT) or above
- Valid certified IELTS results band 5.0
- Valid certified PTE A score of (36-41) is equivalent to an IELTS score of 5.0, and a PTE A score of (44) is equivalent to TOEFL 500 (173CBT, a 61 iBT). Otherwise, they may undertake a course of remedial or intensive English but must achieve the required score before they can proceed into their academic programs.
- For the Arabic program “Mass Communication and Public Relations,” students should submit a TOEFL certificate with a score of 450 or equivalent. A student with a score of 400 can study the first year program but needs to obtain a 450 score before proceeding to the second year.
- For Foundation Certificate Program Students who are admitted in the Foundation Program at ECT and wish to pursue their higher education also at ECT and have successfully completed the requirements of the (FP) should meet the English proficiency requirement.
- Students who can’t provide proof of English proficiency upon admission will be required to undertake a course of remedial or intensive English provided by the ECT